Ranking Factors in SEO: How to Rank Higher on Search Engines
Find out how we can grow your business
Understanding the ranking factors in SEO should be your starting point for ensuring your web pages and blog posts are found on search engines, such as Google. Search Engine Optimisation refers to the practice of optimising a website and its content to improve its visibility and rankings on search engine results pages (SERPs). The goal of SEO is to increase organic (non-paid) traffic to a website by ensuring that it appears higher in search engine results for relevant search queries.
Why is SEO important for a business?
SEO is important for businesses for several reasons:
- Increased visibility: A high ranking on search engine results pages can significantly increase the visibility of a business and its website. When your website appears on the first page of search results, it is more likely to be seen by potential customers who are actively searching for products or services related to your business.
- Targeted traffic: SEO helps attract highly targeted traffic to your website. You can attract visitors who are already interested in what you have to offer by optimising your website for specific target keywords and phrases related to your business. This increases the chances of converting them into customers.
- Higher quality leads: Visitors that come from search engines can be considered higher quality compared to some other traffic sources due to intent. When users search for specific keywords or phrases and click on a search engine result to visit a website, it indicates that they have a specific intent or interest related to their search query. This targeted intent suggests that they are more likely to engage with your content or convert into customers if their needs are met.
- Cost-effective marketing: Compared to other forms of digital marketing, such as paid advertising, SEO can be more cost-effective in the long run. Whilst it requires an investment of time and resources upfront, the ongoing organic traffic generated by SEO can be a sustainable source of leads and customers without the need for constant ad spend.
- Builds credibility and trust: When your website ranks higher in search results, it conveys a sense of credibility and trustworthiness to potential customers. Users tend to trust search engines, so appearing prominently on SERPs indicates that your website is relevant and trustworthy in the eyes of search engines and users.
- Long-term results: SEO is a long-term strategy that aims to build a solid foundation for your online presence. While it may take time to see significant results, the efforts put into SEO can have lasting effects. Once you establish a strong online presence and maintain good SEO practices, you can continue to reap the benefits over time.
Ranking Factors in SEO 2023
The ranking factors in SEO can vary over time as search engines update their algorithms to provide the best user experience. However, here are some of the main ranking factors that have traditionally played a significant role:
Content relevance and quality: Search engines prioritise websites that have informative, relevant, high quality content. This includes factors such as keyword usage, content depth, readability, uniqueness, and user engagement. As part of your content strategy, you should carry out keyword research and optimise your content for the keywords you want to rank for.
Backlinks: Backlinks are links from other websites pointing to your site. They serve as a vote of confidence and credibility for your content. Search engines consider the quality and quantity of backlinks when determining the authority and relevance of a website.
On-page optimisation: This refers to optimising various elements on your website, including title tags, alt text, meta descriptions, headings, URL structure, and internal linking. On-page optimisation helps search engines understand the content and context of your pages.
User experience (UX): Search engines prioritise websites that provide a positive user experience. Factors such as page speed, mobile-friendliness, site structure, ease of navigation, and low bounce rates contribute to a good page experience.
Website security: Search engines give preference to secure websites that use HTTPS encryption. Having an SSL certificate installed on your website helps protect user data and improves trustworthiness.
Mobile-friendliness: With the increasing use of mobile devices, search engines prioritise mobile-friendly websites. Optimising your site’s design and functionality for mobile users can positively impact your rankings.
Page-level factors: Specific factors on individual pages, such as the presence of multimedia elements (images, videos), comprehensive content, proper formatting (headers, bullet points), and keyword optimization, can influence rankings.
Social signals: While the direct impact of social signals on rankings is debated, social media activity and engagement can indirectly influence SEO. Popular content that is widely shared and receives engagement signals to search engines that it is valuable and relevant.
Domain authority: The overall authority and credibility of your domain, measured by factors such as the age of the domain, historical performance, and the quality of backlinks, can influence rankings.
User engagement metrics: Metrics like click-through rates (CTR), time on site, and dwell time (the amount of time a user spends on a page before returning to the search results) can indicate the relevance and usefulness of your content.
It’s important to note that search engines use complex algorithms with hundreds of ranking factors, and their weightings can change. Additionally, different search engines may prioritise certain factors differently. Therefore, it’s crucial to focus on a holistic SEO strategy that covers various aspects of optimisation and provides a great user experience.
Google’s Core Web Vital’s report within Google Search Console can be incredibly useful in determining how your web pages can be improves, and the areas in which your pages are succeeding.
More recently, Google’s John Mueller has suggested that the importance of backlinks are becoming less important as a Google ranking factor. It has also been suggested recently that mobile first indexing, page experience and website security, such as having an SSL certificate, will become less important over time as ranking factors in SEO.
It is worth nothing however, that although these factors may not be used directly as SEO ranking factors, having a poor page experience or a website that is not optimised for mobile will lead to higher bounce rates and lower conversion rates. Therefore; they should still be taken into consideration when creating content for your website.
How can Bark Street Digital assist your company?
Bark Street Digital are a team of digital marketing experts based in the United Kingdom, assisting businesses of all sizes, nationwide. We can help you to improve your site and make sure it ranks well on search engines.
We can help website owners optimise their website for SEO in the following ways:
- SEO Audit: Bark Street Digital can conduct a comprehensive SEO audit of your website to identify technical issues, content gaps, and opportunities for improvement. The audit will provide a roadmap for optimizing your website for better search engine visibility.
- Keyword Research: Bark Street Digital can conduct keyword research to identify the most relevant and high-traffic keywords for your website. This will help you target the right keywords in your content and improve your website’s visibility in search results.
- On-Page Optimisation: Bark Street Digital can help you optimise your website’s on-page elements, including title tags, meta descriptions, header tags, content, and images. By optimising these elements for relevant keywords and topics, you can improve your website’s relevance and visibility in search results.
- Link Building: Bark Street Digital can help you build high-quality and relevant backlinks to your website. Backlinks are an important ranking factor in search engines, and Bark Street Digital can help you identify opportunities for building high-quality links to your website.
- Content Creation: Bark Street Digital can help you create high-quality and engaging content that’s optimised for search engines and users. This can include blog posts, articles, infographics, and other types of content that can help drive traffic to your website.
- Analytics and Reporting: Bark Street Digital can provide regular analytics and reporting on your website’s SEO performance. This will help you track your progress, identify areas for improvement, and make data-driven decisions about your SEO strategy.
To find out more about any of our services, then please feel free to contact us via the forms on our website or email our Director on email@example.com.
Get in Touch
08:30 – 16:30
4 Bark Street East
Bolton, BL1 2BQ
What we Do
Social media management